Professional Advice Powerful Defense



When to Modify Your Child Support Agreement


In October 2013, Georgia’s unemployment rate was 8.1 percent, significantly higher than the national average of 7.3 percent. With unemployment rates in the state that high, there will probably be more people heading back to family law court to have their child support amounts modified to reflect their current income.

While parents usually have to wait at least two years before asking for a modification of the previous support plan, you are allowed to modify child support right away in Georgia if you experience a loss of 25 percent or more of your normal salary.

What other changes can lead to modification?

It’s not just parents who lose their job that need to modify their child support agreements. If the individual who is currently sending you payments has just received a large raise or obtained a higher-paying job, you may be entitled to more child support. Also, if the other parent remarries and shares a larger income with his/her new spouse, you may be able to obtain a larger child support amount for you. In any case, it’s important to prove to the court that the other parent’s financial situation has changed substantially and that you need more money to be able to properly raise your child.

Why you need a lawyer

Whether you are seeking or opposing a modification of the support order, you need an advocate who will frame your position in the most favorable light, assemble evidence to support your position, and present it to the court in a persuasive manner. With so much at stake, you want an experienced child support attorney on your side.

Attorney Michael S. Brown understands that your financial situation can change, and he is ready to help you recalculate your and your ex-spouse’s proper child support obligations based on current income. This may allow you to obtain fair modification of your monthly payments.

Read More